Tuesday, 3 April 2012

Day 305 - Hipster Bashing

Ahh! Tumblr, home of the hipster.

Full of random cupcakes, Starbucks, topless women biting their lips and desperate pleas for attention. And a hefty chunk of instagram photos chucked in for good measure.

OH! What's that? You're all so alternative? Gosh, yes. You must really be able to express your individuality by being the same as the other thousands of users. Pfft.

The irony? Being alternative is probably the most mainstream thing going at the moment! Why does everyone need to PROVE they're different? If you're different, if you're quirky, then that'll show on its own, you don't need to prove anything to anyone. And y'know what, wearing chinos, low-cut tops and fake nerd glasses doesn't make you alternative, or unique, or whatever else you're trying to prove, it makes you as mainstream as every other lost cause trying to prove how different they are!

Y'know what? I'm a little bit different I suppose. Yeah, I enjoy the theatre, classical music, art galleries and quiet intimate gigs, but, like.. and? So? I'm just the same as everybody else like me! Do I feel the need to express my alternativism by blogging about pictures of cupcakes and typing every letter in capitals and putting random symbols and commenting about how I like tea? No. No I don't. I like tea because I like tea. Not because it's cool to a group of people to like tea. I am me for me, not for the benefit of other people.

And to be fair, it's not just Tumblr, it's Twitter, and even Facebook to an extent, let alone in real life! Why do we all feel the need to be so different, so unique? I don't understand.

Like, fair play, if you wanna stand out from the crowd, then you go for it! But, hey, here's a tip, do it in such a way you'll get noticed, stand out from the crowd of people trying so desperately to stand out from the crowd.

So, I'll stop Hipster-bashing now.. and I don't mean to offend anyone, but think people need to get a grasp of themselves. Now, by all means, I am more than aware that I don't have the right to judge people, or tell people how to live their lives, of this, I am more aware. But, this is my blog. This is my little corner of the internet where I can express my opinions. So, there you are.

The whole idea of individuality, the very nature of who one is, our identity is something continually challenged. Our opinions aren't set in stone. Who we are isn't set in stone, different people interpret who we are in different ways. You'll never be everyone's cup of tea (non-alternative bog-standard cup of tea at that, not hipster tea!), but, live your life for you. Ultimately, when all is said and done, we have to face whatever is beyond our life on our own, and if we've not done the living to prepare ourselves for that time, we can only blame one person, and that is ourselves.

Ooh, how very philosophical!

Despite the emergence of YOLO all over the place (You Only Live Once), I definitely subscribe to the mantra that life is for living.. there's no point in living if you don't feel alive.

-------

Anyway, just to keep you updated, EASTER HOLIDAYS! Plenty of exciting things have happened for me already... of which I'll inform you of all soon I've no doubt :'D

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment